Friday, March 16, 2012

Green Velvet Cupcakes in a Mason Jar

Sorry this is late! I have some visitors this week so my schedule has been a little messed up but better late than never!


Are you ready for St Patrick's Day?? This year I decided to try a recipe I found off of Pinterest, and let me tell you most of the sweet/baked items I have found on Pinterest have not turned out well.  This one is a partial exception; the cake portion turned out well (I did change the recipe too so I am not sure how it would have turned out without me changing it) but the frosting was a disaster!


I decided I didn't want to bake the cupcakes in the mason jars themselves because I felt that would be too much cake and not enough frosting so I made the cupcakes and layered them in the mason jars.


The Green Velvet Cupcakes:






Ingredients:

  • 1 cup all purpose flour 
  • 1 1/2 cups wheat flour 
  • 2 cups sugar 
  • 1 tablespoon cocoa 
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 cup oil 
  • 1 cup buttermilk 
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 1 oz green food coloring 
  • 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips

Directions:

  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Lightly stir eggs in a medium bowl with whisk.  
  • Add in remaining liquid ingredients.   
  • Whisk until blended and sit aside.   
  • Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about a minute or two until well combined
  • Put the white chocolate chips in a small bowl and add 1/4 cup of flour and mix until the chips are well coated
  • Fold the chocolate chips into the batter
  • Pour the batter into cupcake pans.  
  • Let cook for 10-15 minutes and than remove from pans. 



Cream Cheese Frosting (Should be called a glaze!-- DON'T USE THIS RECIPE!):
Ingredients: 

  • 2 (8 oz) packages of softened cream cheese 
  • 1/4 cup softened butter 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1 bag powdered sugar (2 lb bag) 
  • Milk as needed
Directions:

  • Cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a bowl until smooth 
  • Gradually add in powdered sugar and continue mixing
  • I added in milk as needed to get to a better consistency 
Putting them in jars!
It took me three cupcakes for each jar.  I unwrapped them and then put on at the bottom of each jar added a layer of frosting then repeat until it is full!  You can add some fun sprinkles on too!




No comments:

Post a Comment